Friday, January 12, 2007

I'm back but do I have anything to say?

I was inspired to revive this thing recently and came back to take a look at it. First off, I wasn't too embarrassed by what I've posted before. In fact, I kind of liked my posts, as narcissistic as that sounds. Secondly, though, over the last year or so all my favorite sites have become other people's blogs. I get most of my news from them and I'm always coming across stuff that I want to turn more people onto. Hence, I thought "Why not try to breathe some new life into that one you started over two years ago." (I can't believe it's been over two years since I've messed with this thing!)

Another reason why I decided to start posting again is that all the gay blogs I read are by guys living either in NYC or somewhere in California, usually San Francisco. Well, what about those of us not fortunate enough to live in such gay-friendly mega-populated places? Where's our voice?

Also, a lot has happened in the two years since I last posted to this thing. I won't go into everything in detail right now, mainly because I just don't have the patience at the moment, but the big thang is that I'm a father now! My partner and I fostered kids for a couple of years and wound up adopting our daughter, who we've had since she was six-days old.

So that leads me to my next point about reviving this thing. I can't find a great deal online for or about gay parents and much of what I have found seems too saccharine and politically correct for my tastes. I mean, just because I'm a parent now doesn't mean I stopped having degenerate sex. (Although my partner would claim that I don't have degenerate sex nearly enough to suit his tastes.)

Several of my girlfriends (in the most platonic sense of the word) have had kids lately too and they're just as irreverent and fucked up as they ever were. Because gay parenting is still such a hot-button political topic the "movement" is having to cast it in the most favorable image. You always see the gay guys who have been together for umpteen years and take in abused black AIDS babies. I'm probably generalizing too much here but that is often the case. I've also found a preponderance of religious queens with kids. Well, religion turns me right off, with the exception of something like Unitarian-Universalism, which is probably about where I stand in the whole theological quagmire.

I guess what this boils down to is that I spend a lot of time online (because I have no life) and I've never found a site or blog that fully represents me and where I'm coming from. I'm always finding information that I think is really cool or important and I want to somehow disseminate it to more people, so I figured, "Why not?"

(Also, a lot of stuff gets on my nerves too and I just don't have a big enough platform from which to bitch. I mean, who does, right? So get ready.)

No comments: